Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Take My Life, Please

I was watching this Simpson episode with the above mentioned title while eating dinner ravenously tonight after work, and this episode was kinda poignant and which struck a chord in me.

Homer Simpson bumped into a successful peer who had been elected class president over him (Homer) more than 20 years ago, and Homer was all caught up fretting that that would have been a seminal event which could have changed the course of his life altogether.

Which is quite plausible actually. In an alternative reality (think Sliding Doorshttp://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120148/ -I have always thought it an intriguing show) Homer was the same; never born a genius and was a dope from the start. But this time he was elected as a standing joke among his peers, which, though far from ideal of course, did much to boost his self-esteem, stature, and eventually brought on success. Of course, befitting of an animation doing social commentary, many things were exaggerated, like when Burns drove past in his limo and offered him a job (but ok, down the line if things go well, who knows?)

So, inadvertently, it made me think of my life and missed opportunities and things which I used to bemoan, like what if...my parents had never obsessively belittled me and my academic performance in front of the neighbours when I was a kid? what if...I were born rich and had a different upbringing? what if...I were less of an introvert, more self-confident, and had stepped up in life more? what if...I had never screwed up my math paper, ended up in a 'neighborhood' school, and...never met Art in Bukit Batok sec? hehe.

Guess I would have been a gloomy self-centred recluse if left to my own devices eh? The thing about life is that, sometimes there is no turning back, and no way of controlling how things turn out. Thank God we can rely on Him, having peace knowing that He is in control of our destiny. Romans said that 'And we know that all good things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose' (8:28).

I have also, for some reason (ok, for a very good reason) been reminded more than a few times by the Holy Spirit lately on the idea of significance, and the essence of true significance. It is something that is easy to have head knowledge about, but hard to grasp or truly comprehend and imbue or believe, unless God opens our eyes at the right time. "Moreover whom He predestined, these He also called; whom He called, these He also justified; whom He justified, these He also glorified' (8:30). I have been touched by this revelation that no matter what I have strived for or am striving to achieve to prove my significance to myself and others, the point is that God has really justified me. I have nothing to prove to anyone anymore because I am already significant for who I am because of God, and for this cause, I am free to achieve and pursue my desires (in line with the will of God) without any anxiety.

Finally, as I mull over and try to wait in patience for my 'life calling'-to pursue an area which I am excellent in and passionate about, I have been especially touched by Psalms 32, which speaks of God's desire to guide us through our lives, to lead us to glorification in both our earthly and eternal lives:

"I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go;
I will guide you with My eye.
Do not be like the horse or like the mule, which have no understanding,
Which must be harnessed with bit and bridle,
Else they will not come near you" (8-9)

I have always been praying to God for guidance and in making decisions and to answer my prayers, as if He is my 'lucky charm'. God is of course, more than that. The point is, He cannot guide us closely with His eye, towards the excellent way in God's will, without us going to Him and resting in His presence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home